Dental Assistant Program Goals/Objectives
The DA program seeks to prepare students to assume a professional and active role within the dental community. The program seeks to:
- Produce DAs prepared to competently meet the entry level duties of a DA in a variety of settings.
- Produce DAs prepared to successfully complete the Dental Assistant National Board Examination (DANB).
- Develop and deliver an integrated academic program leading to the successful completion of the guidelines developed by the Kansas Board of Regents (KBOR) and the Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA).
- Advance the recognition of the field of dentistry and the role of the DA within that field.
- Promote the importance of continued personal and professional development through life-long learning and membership in professional organizations.
Graduates will be able to:
- Work under the supervision of a dentist in an ethical, legal and professional manner.
- Assist with and implement a comprehensive treatment plan developed by the dentist.
- Recognize and implement the use of outcomes for patients in a variety of settings.
- Demonstrate effective oral, written and non-verbal communication skills.
- Successfully integrate concepts from the prerequisite course work, basic sciences and DA programming into dental assistant.
- Demonstrate a commitment to life-long learning, evidence based practice and ongoing professional growth in a dental practice.