Veterans Checklist

Recommended steps:

  • What do you want to study?
    • Meet with an Advisor to explore career and major options at Labette Community College.
      • Sara Comer, Military-Connected Student Services Coordinator, can sit down with you to discuss your interests, abilities, and values and programs available at LCC. She then can give recommendations about which careers you may enjoy and help you decide which courses or training programs you should investigate to pursue those careers.
  • Apply for Admissions
  • Select and Apply for GI Bill® Benefits
    • It is required that you register with Ebenefits if you have not done so already. Here you will be able to track your payment received, make changes to your account, set up direct deposit, and monitor your GI Bill Benefits at this link: Ebenefits Information
    • If you are changing schools to Labette Community College, you need to fill out a 22-1995 form, Change of the Place of Training form. This form is for the VA.
  • Apply for Financial Aid:
    • Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at Use the “IRS Data Retrieval Tool” to complete the application faster. Be sure to include LCC as a receiving school on the FAFSA. LCC’s school code is 001930.
  • Compile all transcripts from previous colleges and any military training that can be evaluated for transfer credit.
    • If you have attended any previous institutions, official transcripts must be sent to LCC. All transcripts must be official. You should either have them sent directly from your school to LCC, or if delivered in person, the transcripts must be sealed in an envelope directly from the issuing school. Transcripts from all other colleges/universities must be sent to the Admissions Office in order to be applied towards a degree or certificate.
    • Transcripts from your military experience can be requested through JST for Army, Cost Guard, Marine Corps, and Navy: Air Force transcripts can be requested through
  • Submit Placement Scores to the Admissions Office:
    • This is required prior to enrollment. You can submit one of the following:
      • ACT Scores: a high school transcript usually has ACT schools printed on it. You can also have scores sent or printed by visiting the ACT website at
      • ACCUPLACER Placement Test: The ACCUPLACER Placement Test is for students that have either not taken the ACT or for those who have taken the ACT, but are not satisfied with their scores. The ACCUPLACER Placement Test is given at the LCC Student Success Center at the Main Campus and at the Cherokee Center for no cost to the student. For more information, call 1-888-LABETTE, ext. 1147.  
  • Familiarize Yourself with the Semester Course Schedule
    • It is beneficial for students to have an idea of what courses will be offered for the semester. Familiarize yourself with course times and locations. LCC offers courses on Main Campus in Parsons, at the Cherokee Center near Pittsburg, and online. This knowledge will prepare you to work with an advisor to develop a schedule that will fit your academic needs. You can view the course schedule online at by clicking on the RedZone link, or request one by contacting the Admissions Department at 1-888-LABETTE, ext. 1264 or by e-mail at
  • Enroll with Your Advisor:
    • You will be assigned a Faculty Advisor based on your major or primary area of interest. You will also be assigned a Professional Advisor if you identified yourself as a military-connected student. As the student, it is your responsibility to make an appointment with your advisor to enroll.
  • Complete and fill out the Education Benefits Orientation Form
    • Complete the Veteran Information Form and turn it in to the MCSS Coordinator/SCO. This form needs to be filled out when you first start you’re your education at LCC. You can get this form from the MCSS Coordinator or by clicking here.
  • Complete and fill out the Request for VA Certification (RVAC) Form.
    • This form will need to be filled out and turned in any time you make changes to your enrollment and at the beginning of each semester. You can get the form from the MCSS Coordinator or by clicking here.
  • Access Additional Veteran Benefits:
    • Contact OEF/OIF program manager at your local VA hospital for access to VA health care services and information on service-connected disabilities.
  • Contact Disability Services, if any services are needed.

Please contact Sara Comer, if you have questions or need assistance with any of these processes.

Checklist courtesy of Cardinal Checklist and Factors to Consider when Choosing a School.

Contact Information

Sara Comer, LMSW

O: 620-820-1152
Location: Military Lounge, Student Success Center
Veterans Crisis Line
Education Benefits Orientation Form Request for VA Certification Military Friendly Schools