Student Responsibilities

LCC’s School Certifying Official (SCO) needs assistance to ensure the most accurate and timely information is sent to the Dept. of Veterans Affairs-on the student's behalf.  The following student responsibilities are required of each VA student using benefits for courses taken at LCC.

Benefit Decision: It is the responsibility of the student to decide on which benefit is most appropriate for him/her based on individual circumstances.  Our SCO cannot make the decision for the student.  Please visit the VA website for assistance.

Certificate of Eligibility:  Students must submit a copy of the Certificate of Eligibility to their VA School Certifying Official to be certified for courses. 

Approved Courses: Students must enroll for courses that are required for the elected degree program.  The Dept. of Veterans Affairs only pays benefits for courses that are needed for the degree program, and that have not been previously or successfully completed.

*Remedial/Developmental Classes cannot be certified to the VA if taking 100% on-line. (remedial/developmental courses consist of MATH 088, MATH 096, MATH 100, ENGL 097, ENGL 099)

Federal Financial Aid: If you are using federal aid or have used it previously, please make sure you contact the Financial Aid office for any questions or concerns. Please note that the rate of pursuit may be different for financial aid and VA. It is the student’s responsibility to inform the SCO if they are using financial aid.

Change in Degree: In order to change a degree program, please submit a Change of Degree form with the admissions office. You will then need to send an email to the SCO stating which degree you are changing from, and what degree you are now interested in pursuing. You will also need to complete a Request for Change of Program or Place of Training form (22-1995). This information will be kept in your file.

Enrollment Changes: Federal law requires students to report any change of enrollment status that might affect their education benefits.  It is the student's responsibility to notify the school certifying official of any change in status-IMMEDIATELY!  This includes adding/changing or withdrawing from a course. Changes should be reported promptly to avoid delay in payments or possible over payments.

Third Party: If your third-party sponsor (military, employer, governmental agency, etc.) fails to pay LCC, you assume responsibility for paying the amount the sponsor originally promised to pay on your behalf.

Submission of Transcripts: Students must submit official transcripts from previously attended colleges & universities to LCC. 

*Students using federal financial aid have different transcript requirements.  Please visit the Labette Community College Financial Aid website for more information.

Students using CH 31 Vocational Rehabilitation benefits are required to submit a LCC unofficial transcript to their VA counselor at the end of each semester. Unofficial transcripts are available through your RedZone.

VA Payments: Questions concerning VA payments must be addressed with the Dept. of Veterans Affairs. SCO's cannot access payment information, as they are school representatives and not employees of the Dept. of Veterans Affairs. Please visit your eBenefits account for assistance.

Record Changes: It is the student's responsibility to submit a change of address to the Admissions Office and to also notify the School Certifying Official. All correspondence from LCC is mailed to the address listed in the student’s RedZone.

Guest Students: Students visiting LCC to take classes to transfer back to their home school are required to submit the following documentation:

  • This is the responsibility of the student to obtain from the Veteran Services Department or School Certifying Official at their home school. Certification of courses with Labette Community College will not be completed without the Parent School Letter from the home school.
  • A copy of their certificate of eligibility.
  • Students using Chapters 30, 35 & 1606 will be required to set up a payment plan for total tuition due for, as tuition payments are not paid to the school directly.
  • Students must also follow the prerequisite requirements for courses offered at LCC. Submission of an unofficial transcript is required for clearance of prerequisite requirement.

Tuition Assistance: Service members using tuition assistance should contact their Education Services Office prior to enrolling in classes. Each branch of the service has its own rules and methods of applying for TA, so you will need to contact your unit for application assistance.

If you will be using tuition assistance through the military, you will need to submit an approved TA Authorization to the Labette Community College’s Military-Connected Student Services on or before the payment deadline of each semester. The military tuition assistance program only pays for tuition, not fees. Please be aware that LCC has different fees depending on the course and program you are in. Service members using tuition assistance will be responsible for paying fees. Please contact Sara Comer at 620-820-1227, to obtain a billing statement that does not include the student fees.

If your TA administrator requests a signed program plan of study, contact your Major Advisor to review and sign your LCC Degree program plan.

Veteran Education Benefits Orientation Form: The first time a student wishes to utilize their VA Education Benefits at Labette Community College, the student is required to meet with the school certifying official to complete the Education Benefits Orientation Form.

Request for VA Certification (RVAC) Form: Every student wishing to use their benefits to pay for classes are required to submit the Request for VA Certification (RVAC) Form each semester by the LAST DATE TO ENROLL/ADD COURSES date. No Exceptions!

Part Time vs. Full Time Status: The Dept. of Veteran Affairs determines the rate of pursuit by the number of credits and days/weeks of the semester/session/term/cycle. Students can typically be considered a full-time VA student based on the following criteria (subject to change):
*Students taking only on-line courses will receive 1/2 of the national BAH rate at the E-5 level.
*Students must take at least one on-campus course during the same time frame as the on-line course to receive the BAH rate for the area in which you are assigned to a SCO (Parsons).
16 week on-campus courses= 12 credit hours to be full time

Disclaimer: Information is subject to change at any time, and without prior notice. For questions, contact your assigned certifying official. See the area Contact Us for contact information of your assigned School Certifying Official.

Contact Information

Sara Comer, LMSW

O: 620-820-1152
Location: Military Lounge, Student Success Center
Veterans Crisis Line
Education Benefits Orientation Form Request for VA Certification Military Friendly Schools