LCC is able to offer tutoring in the biological sciences Monday – Thursday from 9-2pm and Fridays by arrangement at the Parsons campus. Interested students should contact Dr. Bharathi Sudarsanam (620-820-1150, M103-A).
Need someone to review your paper for flow and citations? Submit your paper online and you can make an appointment to receive feedback. Paper Submission Form
Still need help? Submit a tutor request. Tutor Request Form
Interested in becoming a Peer Tutor? Peer Tutor Application
Trouble with word problems? Check out these videos.
A few quick tips.
- Read the problem at least twice before starting it.
- When you are reading the problem the second time write down the key pieces of information.
- If possible, organize the information in a table – it may help you identify relationships.
- Build your equation and solve.
- Always check your answer against the original problem to see if it makes sense. Also be sure that you fully answered the question.
Transitioning to word problems:
- KHAN Academy: Variables, Expressions & Equations
- KHAN Academy: Consecutive Odd Integers
- KHAN Academy: Mixture Problems
- KHAN Academy: Advanced Mixture Problem
How to build functions for common word problems:
Analyzing the structure of functions:
- KHAN Academy: Functions (part 1) – visual argument; KHAN Academy: Functions (part 2) – algebraic argument
- KHAN Academy: Functions - Rate Problem
- KHAN Academy: Functions - Rate Problem (take 2)
- KHAN Academy: Pythagorean Theorem application
- KHAN Academy: Pythagorean Theorem (area)
How do you decide if your solution makes sense?
Still struggling? Request a tutor by filling out the Tutor Request Form or visiting the Student Success Center at Labette Community College’s main campus.