Kansas Residency

If you are an out-of-state student who would like to become a Kansas resident, you must provide specific documentation. The documentation required to be a Kansas resident is listed below. You are required to provide at least 3 of the following items:

  1. Copy of your Kansas driver's license dated at least 6 months before the term starts.
  2. Notarized verification from a Kansas resident that you have resided with him/her for at least 6 months before the term starts.
  3. Receipt from purchase of Kansas license tags dated at least 6 months before term starts.
  4. Kansas property taxes payment receipt dated at least 6 months before term starts.
  5. Employment verification or payroll check stubs from a Kansas employer or school attendance commencing 6 months before term starts (excluding online/correspondence courses).
  6. Copy of Kansas voter's registration dated 6 months before term starts.
  7. Monthly utility receipts and/or rent receipts in your name dated continuously for 6 months before the term starts.

In addition to the 3 items, each student MUST provide a notarized lease agreement form. There are some landlords who will not have this form notarized. You must make sure that your landlord will comply with this requirement before you sign your lease. Also, make sure your name is on the lease. If you have living arrangements other than renting you will need to speak with the Registrar for alternative forms of verification.

An Affidavit of Residency form from the Registrar's Office must be completed and notarized when you submit your documentation. Providing all the proper documentation is the responsibility of the student. The Registrar will not and cannot request documentation for the student. The students MUST provide all documentation.

As you will notice, all documentation must indicate you have been living in Kansas for 6 months prior to the first day of classes. As a general rule, to have in-state status for the Fall semester, you should have your documents dated prior to February 1st and for the Spring semester, you should have your documents dated prior to July 1st.

It is the student's responsibility to enroll under the proper residence classification. If a student enrolls as a Kansas resident and is later determined by the Registrar to be a non-Kansas resident, the student will be charged as a nonresident and payment will be required for all semesters the student was enrolled incorrectly. However, if a student that is classified as a nonresident upon enrollment disagrees with that classification, the student has 30 days from the first day of classes to appeal the classification.

All appeals must be made in writing to the Registrar's Office. If a student does not exercise the right to appeal within the time allotted, the classification or reclassification becomes final. All decisions, charges, and refunds will be in accordance with the state law and KBOR guidelines.

Please refer to the LCC catalog or Student Handbook for more details, which is located on our website.

(620) 421-6700 Ext. 1274

Cindy Dyson

Assistant Registrar
(620) 421-6700 Ext. 1244